Saturday, March 7, 2009

You Don't Own Me: Grrrl Groups January 26, 2009



On January 26, 2009, 4-6 am Central Standard Time, in Chicago, Illinois on WHPK 88.5 the Pride of the South Side, This is New Radio showcased G[ir]rrl groups.

Reflecting on this show, I wish I would have had included more girl groups and added much more information about each song/artist, since every girl's story is simply fascinating, however, two hours is a temporal constraint, which does not allow such elaboration. But lucky for you, I can offer some insight for those interested in learning more about girl groups.

A few books to check out:

Whitall, Susan
1998. Women of Motown An Oral History. Avon Books: New York. (part of For the Record Books edited by Dave Marsh).

Warwick, Jacqueline
2007. Girl Groups Girl Culture Popular Music and Identity in the 1960s. Routledge: New York.

Greig, Charlotte
1989. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? Girl Groups From the 50s On. Virago Press: London.

The Liverbirds- Peanut Butter



Below is the link for the show:

Girl Groups - This is New Radio





Track Listing:
Earl-Jean- I'm Into Something Good
The Supremes- Love is Like an Itching in My Heart
Goldie and the Gingerbreads- VIP
The Cookies- Girls Grow Up Faster Than Boys Do
Lindy Lane- Low Grades and High Fever
Dusty Springfield- Take Another Little Piece of My Heart
The Shangri-las- Give Him a Great Big Kiss
The Angels- My Boyfriend's Back
The Chiffons- My Boyfriend's Back
The Chantels- Well I Told You
The Luv'd Ones- Up Down Sue
Mary Wells- My Guy
The Crystals- He Hit Me (And it Felt Like a Kiss)
Brenda Holloway- I've Been Good to You
The Feminine Complex- Love Love Love
The Shirelles- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
ID- Those Ever Loving Baby Blues
Lesley Gore- You Don't Own Me
The Puppets- Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart
The Shangri-las- He Cried
The Marvelettes- Please Mr. Postman
The Pleasure Seekers- What a Way to Die
The Liverbirds- Diddley Daddy
Patti and the Bluebelles- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dana Gillespie- You Just Gotta Know My Mind
Lori Burton- Nightmare
The Ronettes- You Came, You Saw, You Conquered
Ellaine and the Shandells- Tell Me That You Care
The Starlets- No, No, No (You Don't Love Me)
The Ikettes- I'm Blue
Martha and the Vendellas- Dancing in the Streets
Dusty Springfield- Breakfast in Bed
The Jayettes- Sally Go Round the Roses
The Honeys- The One You Can't Have
The Toys- Lover's Concerto
The Termites- Tell Me
Alma Cogan- Snakes, Snails, Puppy Dog Tails
The Ronettes- Be My Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment